COCONUT OIL KILLS BACTERIA, VIRUSES AND FUNGI IN/ON YOUR PET!
Ranked in the top 10 most important food medicines, coconut oil is a must add to your pet’s diet! With over 13 Evidence-Based Medicinal Properties, the one we love the most is its yeast-bustin’ abilities!
Almost 50% of the medium-chain triglycerides found in coconut oil are lauric acids, saturated fatty acids that our bodies convert into monolaurin. Monolaurin is one of the natural world's greatest antivirals, antibacterials and antifungals. Because they come from natural sources, these fatty acids pose no danger to your pets' bodies, unlike man-made antibiotics and anti-virals.
Coconut has been used for wound healing for thousands of years. A new study published in the International Journal of Dermatology confirms that coconut oil aides in treating atopic dermatitis, a chronic skin condition characterized by scaly and itchy rashes.
Furthermore, one study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food found that “coconut oil is extremely effective at killing Candida albicans, a common yeast infection in humans.” Another study published in the Journal of Bacteriology discovered that “coconut oil can help kill Staphylococcus aureus, which is a common cause of skin conditions and respiratory diseases.”
The recommended dosage for feeding is:
• ½ teaspoon for every 10lbs of body weight daily
Or, if using topically, just rub the oil on your hands and apply to your pet’s coat (remember not to over do it!).
There a loads and loads of different uses for coconut oil with your pets, below are just a few:
Awesome Uses for Coconut Oil:
1. Winter moisturizer for paws, nose and ears
2. Can protect the liver from toxic antibiotic drugs
3. Reduces Hairballs
4. Reduces Cancer risks
5. Rub into the skin as a basic lotion
6. To support healthy thyroid function
7. To help increase sun tolerance and avoid burning
8. Topically to kill yeast or yeast infections in pets
9. It’s high Lauric acid and MCFA content helps boost metabolism
10. Gives your pet a shiny, glossy coat
11. Topically, can help skin heal faster after injury or infection
12. Can help sooth psoriasis or eczema
13. There is some evidence that regular ingestion of coconut oil can help prevent or reverse Alzheimers
14. Can be used as a natural suncreen
15. Is energy boosting
16. There is some evidence that coconut oil helps digestion and may even kill intestinal parasites or yeast
17. Mix a tablespoon with a tablespoon of chia seeds for an all-day energy boost (do NOT take this at night!)
18. Can help improve insulin levels
19. Coconut oil and a drop of oregano oil helps improve gum health
20. Awesome for high-temperature cooking than olive or vegetable oils (doesn't go carcinogenic!)
21. Is an immediate source of energy when eaten and isn’t stored as fat
22. As a naturally antibacterial skin cream
23. It’s anti-inflammatory properties can help lessen arthritis
24. Can stimulate hair growth
25. Can help speed weight loss when consumed daily
26. Can be used to speed healing of fungal infections when taken internally and used externally
27. It has been shown to increase absorption of calcium and magnesium
28. Some evidence shows that the beneficial fats in coconut oil can help with depression and anxiety
29. For pets struggling with skin issues when used externally
30. Some evidence suggests that the beneficial fats in coconut oil are helpful for those with Autism
31. A tablespoon taken before each meal can help improve digestion
32. Many use it as an anti-aging facial moisturizer
33. Can be used internally and externally to speed recovery from UTIs
34. When taken regularly, it can help fight candida
35. Ingesting coconut oil daily can help with allergy symptoms
But its not just coconut oil, don't forget you can use kombucha and kefir with your pets to.
with thanks to Pet Nutrition Blogger – Rodney Habib (planetpaws.ca)