Smoothies are a fantastic way to combine cultured dairy with just about anything. Using combinations of fresh and frozen fruit creates a wonderful thick, ice cold texture but without watering down the smoothie by using ice. You can also add ice-cream (either standard or kefir ice cream).
Use the basic smoothie receipe below and then you can alter or add your own ingredients to taste.
What you need:
- 1 batch of milk kefir (approx 250ml)
- 100g of fresh fruit
- 100g of frozen fruit (frozen Banana is a favourite!)
- sweetener as desired (can be sugar or stevia or honey but avoid raw honey, agarve syrup etc etc.)
- Any spices or powders that you want (some people like to use seaweed, chia seeds, flax seeds, cumin, etc etc)
How to make:
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth, try and use a pulse setting rather than continuous blending to keep the heat levels low. Blenders contain stainless steel blades so are fine to use with kefir
- Add any other ingredients you wish and give it another quick pulse/wizz to combine
- Refridgerate or drink immediately. This kind of smoothie however will only stay tasting yummy in the fridge for about 24 hours as the fruits will make the kefir separate and second ferment in the fridge if left for longer and will make it much more sour so for best results consume within 24 hours.