The awesome thing about water kefir is that you can really flavor it however you want. It is very forgiving and you can be as creative as you’d like. Everything from fruit, to juice, to herbs, to flowers. The sky is the limit for creativity! and there really is nothing nicer than sitting on a sunny day with a chilled homemade bottle of water kefir!
Before we get started, here are a few things to remember:
- For all of these recipes, proportions are given for 500ml flip-top bottles. If you’re using smaller or larger bottles, you can adjust the proportions. There really is no science to water kefir. It’s rather forgiving and very customisable.
- Always leave some head space.
- I use lemon or lime juice in almost every recipe, This is simply because i like lemon and lime, You can eliminate it if you’d like.
- You can use fresh fruit or fruit juice, whichever you have on hand. If you use fruit, make sure it’s chopped up or puréed or cut up as small as possible, so the flavors release into the kefir.
- All of these receipes are created by using a second ferment so please read the article on second ferments. NEVER add to the brew when the grains are present!
Basic Lemonade or Limeade
1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice and/or 1/2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
Blueberry Lemonade (this is my personal favourite)
3-5 fresh or frozen blueberries 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
Citrus Berry Blast
1-2 fresh or frozen blueberries 2-5 fresh or frozen raspberries 1-2fresh or frozen blackberries 1-3 fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped 1/2 tbsp. lemon or lime juice 1/4 tbsp. elderberries (fresh or dried or cordial [1/2 tbsp]).
Strawberry Kiwi Lemonade
2-4 fresh or frozen strawberries 1/2 kiwi 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
Tropical Beach smoothie
3/4 tbsp. pineapple juice 3/4 tbsp. orange juice 3/4 tbsp. fresh lime juice.
stir in some coconut milk when serving for a slightly fizzy, creamy treat!
These can also be frozen in ice lolly molds and turned into kefir ice lollies perfect when it gets hot!