Whilst fresh turmeric looks like it’s been unearthed from the soil of another planet, its healing powers and flavour-packed uses are truly out of this world. Here’s why it’s time to get acquainted with the vibrant and versatile root, enjoy its endless health benefits, and why its worth adding to your Kombucha. Fermenting tumeric is believed to improve the bodies absorption.
Tumeric can be added to your kombucha either by simply adding some pieces of the dried root or by making a herbal infusion with it and then leaving this to go cold and adding it to the second ferment. Both methods give different flavours so experiment and see what you think.
The steps to follow for making turmeric infusion are:
- boil 1L of water
- add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground, grated, or powdered or chipped turmeric
- allow the mixture to simmer for approximately 10 minutes
- strain the tea into a container and allow it to cool
Many people put additional ingredients into their turmeric infusion to improve the taste or help with its absorption. Common additives include:
- Black pepper, which contains piperine, a chemical known to help promote curcumin absorption, and that can add a spice flavor to the tea.
- Lemon, lime, or ginger, to enhance antioxidant and antimicrobial properties in the mixture and improve taste.