How to make water kefir
PLease note as these are a live item this need to be done as soon as you receive the grains. The grains can be stored in the fridge for up to 48 hours however the quicker they are used the better.
- Nonmetal Strainer
- Wooden or Plastic Spoon
- 1 litre or larger glass jar with lid
- Bottles for storage
- 1 Sachet of Water Kefir Grains
- 1-2 teaspoons Organic Raisins or Other Unsulphured Dried Fruit
- 65-70g Sugar
- 1/2 Organic Lemon
- 1 Thin Slice Fresh Ginger, Peeled
- 750ml-1litre Filtered, Chlorine-free Water (leave boiled water over night to remove Chlorine)
- Disolve sugar into water. Do not use honey in place of sugar. Honey has antimicrobial properties and will damage your water kefir grains or delay their proliferation.
- Add water kefir grains, raisins, half a lemon and slice of ginger to the mixture of sugar water in a glass jar.
- Allow your water kefir to brew in a lidded or covered glass jar at room temperature for 24 – 72 hours depending on the strength you prefer and the temperature of your home (Do not seal the lid!). The warmer your home is, the faster water kefir will brew.
- Strain the water kefir grains, raisins, lemon and ginger from the water kefir and bottle the liquid into smaller containers.
- Allow the smaller bottles to sit out for another 24 – 48 hours to continue fermentation and produce natural carbonation.
- Serve cold over ice and enjoy!
Water kefir is remarkably versatile. This basic recipe can be altered slightly to introduce different beneficial herbs or flavors to produce a wide array of probiotic beverages. Some people enjoy replacing the ginger with fresh mint, anise or cardamom while others replace raisins with figs. I’ve even used dried cherries for a lovely rose-hued water kefir.
Kefir is a fermented pro-biotic, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your “inner ecosystem.” It is very similar to Kombucha but is made with milk or sugared water rather than tea and is made with live Kefir grains. It is far more nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.
- Kefir is very simple and inexpensive to make at home
- Kefir is excellent nourishment for pregnant and nursing women, the elderly, and those with compromised immunity.
- Please note, it is not unusual for the grains to take a few brews to recover from being posted to you. Please ensure that you change the water ever 24-36 hours even if it does nor appear that the drink is fermenting as it is vital to feed the grains