Ginger Beer plant instructions
Empty the starter paste (plant) into approx 200ml of cooled boiled water in a glass jar.
Cover the jar with kitchen paper or cloth and secure with an elastic band (avoid tight fitting lids as you do not want explosions)
Leave in a warm place for 24 hours
“feed” the plant with 1 teaspoon each of dry ginger powder and 1 teaspoon of sugar everyday for 7 days.
After feeding the plant everyday for 7 days,
put the liquid through a tight mesh sieve or or muslin cloth
put the liquid to one side and keep the solid paste/sediment safe.
Dissolve 500g of sugar in 250ml of boiling water
add 50ml of lemon juice
- dilute with 2 litres of cold water
- Add the liquid that you put to one sie earlier and mix well
- Pour carefully or siphon the liquid in to storage bottles (plastic PET bottles or fermenting bottles are best avoid other bottles as the risk of explosion can be high if the wrong bottles are used)
- Store in bottles for approx 4 days, check regularly for taste and release gas from the bottles daily.
- The amount of sugar used in this stage can be varied according to taste.
- Split the sediment into 2 separate ginger plants, now you can start again.
- If you want to rest the plant for a while just refridgerate the plant and when you are ready to brew again feed with a couple of teaspoons of sugar , then brew as normal (starting at stage 1).