San Francisco Sourdough is famous around the world and it was originally created by accident. French bakers in San Francisco were perplexed as to why the bread that they were making was going sour in San Francisco, turns out its they had struck gold as everyone loved the way the bread tasted.
This starter is available as a live fresh starter and also dehydrated. if you are buying this as a gift or you are unlikely to get started within 2 weeks of the culture arriving please choose the dehydrated culture.
San Francisco sourdough contains a specific strain of bacteria- L. sanfranciscensis which is responsible for its unique sour flavour and taste. San Francisco is widely regarded as the mecca of sour-style bread and in the 1980s the San Francisco artisan bread movement reinvigorated our bread-making image with an emphasis on great technique.
Our heirloom Culture Originates from San Francisco, the flavour is unique distinctive and amazing. A firm favourite for its ease of use, versatility and flavour.
You will receive 150g of starter
All of Sourdough Cultures are:
- Grown in Soil association Certified ingredients, which are GMO free.
- UKAS Lab tested
- We guarantee that your culture will work
- Lifetime supply of Culture- If you take care of Sourdough you will never need to purchase one again.
- We are a food registered company
- All of our food handlers hold at least level 2 food hygiene certificates
- We have a full food safety programme in place (Haccp plan)
- Daily Ph tests are carried out on our cultures
- All live cultures are ready to to ferment as soon as they arrive
- All cultures are picked and packed to order daily
- All packaging is food grade and heat sealed
- Full paper instructions are provided with every culture (not just online) but we also provide access to our online instructions and tutorial videos and youtube channel
- Full customer support- We are here to help and for as long as you need us. When you buy one of our cultures one of our Culture experts is available to via email or telephone or in person to help you with your brew. You can come back to us at any point for help. We will do everything we can to help you happily make wonderful Sourdough bread.