You will receive 1 sachets contains So in total you will receive 8 tablespoons (100-120g) of grains.
Are you looking for a healthy alternative to chemical laden fizzy drinks? Water Kefir is just what your looking for. Water Kefir is a fermented drink chock full of beneficial bacteria, it is easily flavored, incredibly versitile and simple to prepare and to some more palatable than kombucha, offering a pleasant alternative to commercial fizzy drinks. Similar in flavor to a dry, and slightly fizzy lemonade, water kefir is pleasant and even small children can enjoy it. As with many probiotic foods and beverages, that faintly fermented flavor is an acquired taste – especially if you’re accustomed to overly sweet, sugary beverages. Impressively rich in micronutrients, enzymes and beneficial bacteria, water kefir numbers among the top ten pro-biotics and is a fantastic alternative to milk kefir if you are looking for a diary free alternative
Water kefir, like kombucha, is first cultured by introducing a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeasts into sugar water.
The beneficial bacteria and yeasts present in the grains metabolize the sugar and turn it into actic acid. Grains are small, translucent, gelatinous structures and are made up from an mixture of bacteria including lactobacillus hilgardii which gives them their characteristic crystal-like appearance. When properly cared for and regularly cultured, they produce a wonderful probiotic-rich beverage and will continue to grow and reproduce indefinitely.
If you are looking to order grains and have them sent internationally please order dehydrated grains
water kefir: the basics
- Nonmetal Strainer
- Wooden or Plastic Spoon
- 1 litre or larger glass jar with lid
- Bottles for storage
- 1 Sachet of Water Kefir Grains
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Raisins or Other Unsulphured Dried Fruit
- 65-70g Sugar per sachet of grains
- 1/2 Organic Lemon
- 1 Thin Slice Fresh Ginger, Peeled
- 750ml-1litre Filtered, Chlorine-free Water (leave boiled water over night to remove Chlorine)
- Disolve sugar into water. Do not use honey in place of sugar. Honey has antimicrobial properties and will damage your water kefir grains or delay their proliferation.
- Add water kefir grains, raisins, half a lemon and slice of ginger to the mixture of sugar water in a glass jar.
- Allow your water kefir to brew in a lidded or covered glass jar at room temperature for 24 – 72 hours depending on the strength you prefer and the temperature of your home (Do not seal the lid!). The warmer your home is, the faster water kefir will brew.
- Strain the water kefir grains, raisins, lemon and ginger from the water kefir and bottle the liquid into smaller containers.
- Allow the smaller bottles to sit out for another 24 – 48 hours to continue fermentation and produce natural carbonation.
- Serve cold over ice and enjoy!
Water kefir is remarkably versatile. This basic recipe can be altered slightly to introduce different beneficial herbs or flavors to produce a wide array of probiotic beverages. Some people enjoy replacing the ginger with fresh mint, anise or cardamom while others replace raisins with figs. I’ve even used dried cherries for a lovely rose-hued water kefir.
Kefir is a fermented pro-biotic, enzyme-rich food filled with friendly micro-organisms that help balance your “inner ecosystem.” It is very similar to Kombucha but is made with sugar and water or milk rather than tea and is made with live Kefir grains. It is far more nutritious and therapeutic than yogurt, it supplies complete protein, essential minerals, and valuable B vitamins.
- Kefir is very simple and inexpensive to make at home
- Kefir is excellent nourishment for pregnant and nursing women, the elderly, and those with compromised immunity.